Saturday, February 03, 2007

Dr. Sears' Birth Book





I just picked up "The Birth Book" by Dr. Sears at the library today. I've been wanting to read this book for awhile now and have had it on hold at the library for over a month. (Apparently, lots of other women have wanted it as well). I started reading it as soon as I got home and have not been able to put it down! I really appreciate Dr. Sears for his more natural approach to childbirth, although he is not a "doctor hater" like it seems in other books (since, I guess, he IS one!!). I really enjoyed reading the stories of the births of his children (he has EIGHT!) which is told mainly by his wife, Martha. Its amazing to see how the experience of giving birth has changed so dramatically just in her childbearing years (her first child was born in 1967). I also appreciate that they are believers in Christ, although this never is mentioned in this book (at least not that I've yet read). I guess I just trust their judgement more now that I know that they have the same basic view of the world that I also have.

I highly recommend this book for anyone you know who is expecting a baby or will in the future. I waited all this time to get it at the library and now I may just have to purchase it to have on hand for reference for my next birth (God providing).

1 comment:

Melissa Zollner said...

Next birth??!! Oh don't give Chad any ideas wink wink

I love any and all things by Dr. Sears. He is the best.